After having written over half a million words on this website, this blog is littered with real tips on how to be happier. These tips are actionable and either based on studies or inspiring stories from our readers.
We’ve published more than 75 articles on specific happiness tips. We’ve filtered these down to the best happiness tips, based on the feedback from our readers. These tips are covered in-depth in this post.
All other tips can be found here as well, with links to the full articles that go in-depth into the many studies and stories that support these tips.
Not every tip will be suitable for you, but if you can find 2 or 3 small changes to make to your life, you’ll be surprised at how much influence they can have on your happiness over time!
- Most recently published happiness tips
- The best happiness tips from our blog
- All articles about specific happiness tips
- Closing words
Most recently published happiness tips
Here are the most recently added articles about specific tips, based on either studies or inspiring stories from our readers:
- 5 Strategies to Become a More Driven Person (and Be Highly Motivated!) (5/18/2022)
- 5 Tips to Focus Your Mind on One Thing (Based on Studies) (5/17/2022)
- 5 Ways to Avoid Self Sabotage (Why we Do It & How to Stop!) (5/15/2022)
- 4 Actionable Strategies to Be More Decisive (With Examples) (5/13/2022)
- 7 Ways to Be Less Selfish (But Still Enough to Be Happy) (5/10/2022)
- 11 Inspiring Ways to Make the World a Better Place (Big & Small!) (5/7/2022)
- 5 Tips to Set Intentions Every Day Like a Pro (with Examples!) (5/6/2022)
- 6 Tips on How Not to Let Things Bother You (With Examples) (5/4/2022)
- 12 Reasons Why Exercising Makes you Happier (with Tips!) (5/2/2022)
- 11 Ways to be Your Best Self Every Single Day (With Examples) (4/29/2022)
The best happiness tips from our blog
Everybody wants to be happy. If you’re currrently unhappy and want to find actionable tips that will help you become happier, here are the best happiness tips from our blog:
1. Write down why you want to be happier
Grab a piece of paper, put a date on it, and start writing down whatever is on your mind. This especially helps if you are currently feeling stressed or anxious. Here are some great benefits of writing:
- Writing down your thoughts forces you to actually confront them.
- It allows you to better deconstruct what you’re missing without getting your thoughts distracted.
- Writing something down can prevent it from causing chaos in your head. Think of this as clearing the RAM memory of your computer. If you’ve written it down, you can safely forget about it and start with an empty slate.
- It allows you to look back at your struggles objectively. In a few months time, you can look back at your notepad and see how much you’ve grown.
It might not be hard to imagine that people often start journaling when they are in a difficult situation. Even though writing down your thoughts might sound silly, it can have a direct effect on your mentality. Do not underestimate the power of writing down your feelings!
2. Create small goals that you can actually reach
Change happens one step at a time. You cannot change your life overnight, which is something that might be difficult to accept. If you determined 6 issues that you want to change in your life, then you would be smart to only focus on 1 at a time.
Because you have to build habits. There’s a chance that the things you want to change have been a part of your life for a long time already. Therefore, it will be difficult to change these things.
You have to consider these changes to be long processes that require constant effort. Improving your life is similar to a marathon and not a sprint. You can’t work on all these issues today and expect to be happy again tomorrow. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work like that.
Let’s say you want to start living healthier. This is, of course, a very big and noble goal, but it’s much better if you could narrow it down into smaller sub-goals. Try to figure out smaller, more specific goals, like:
- Stop eating junk food on weekdays
- Spend 30 minutes exercising twice a week
- Wake up before 08:00 5 days a week
- Go to bed before midnight
- Take 5,000 steps per day
Notice how these goals seem much easier to accomplish? This makes it much easier to build lasting habits that will slowly transform your life in a great way. And it doesn’t happen overnight. These goals can be narrowed down even further. An example:
Want to spend 30 minutes exercising twice a week? Start out with exercising for just 10 minutes tonight. Then, in 2 days, try to exercise 20 minutes. Next week, try to exercise 30 minutes, etcetera. Building habits isn’t about reaching your end goal immediately, it is about doing that one thing you want to achieve every day until it’s engrained in your schedule.
3. Try to make others happy
Your happiness can actually radiate to other people. Your smile has the power to bring a smile to someone else’s face! How can you put this to practice?
- Smile to a stranger
- Try to laugh when you’re around others (not in an awkward way!). Laughter is one of the best remedies for sadness.
- Do something nice for somebody else, a random act of kindness
- Make a compliment to somebody else and notice how it affects their happiness
Why would you want to focus on the happiness of others while you’re trying to be happier yourself?
4. Exercise, even if it’s just a 15-minute walk outside
“Mens sana in corpore sano.”
You’ve probably heard this phrase or its English translation, “a healthy mind in a healthy body”. It’s often used as a motto for sports clubs and I bet that you’ve heard it at least once from your middle school gym teacher.
The saying is so popular because it’s true. Physical health is an integral part of mental health and well-being, and it would be useless to think otherwise.
The World Health Organization recommends that adults aged 18-64 should do at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity physical activity throughout the week. That’s 2 and a half hours per week, which isn’t a lot in the grand scheme of things.
Even if you’re not big on running, you should still be getting regular exercise. Not only is it good for your mental health in general, research has shown that people engaged in physical exercise also have higher self-esteem. Find an activity that works for you and get physical! From running to rowing, dancing to duathlon, fencing to football and everything in between, the opportunities are endless.
So what do you get for those 2 and a half hours you spend exercising?
These articles will get you started:
If your Facebook and Instagram feeds are anything to go by, your friends are constantly on vacation, eating healthy, getting married, getting promotions and generally living a better life than you are.
Deep down you know that you’re not getting the full picture, but it’s still difficult to feel good about yourself when you compare your own life to the highlight reels of others. While a little bit of upward comparison can be motivating, research has shown that in most cases, it just lowers your self-esteem.
So if you’re prone to such comparisons, the best gift you can give yourself is to log off for a while. If you can’t do that for some reason, then use of the mute function and unfollow features that don’t add any value to your life and curate yourself a feed that lifts you up instead of bringing you down.
6. Be grateful for the things you already have
You’ve probably heard this one before, but I’m still going to include this here.
Practicing gratitude can have a great effect on your mental health, as shown by numerous studies.
There are a lot of things to be grateful for! How can you practice gratitude?
- Thank your family for everything they’ve done for you
- Keep a gratitude journal
- Look back at your happy memories and be grateful for those memories
- Think about and focus on the positive things you have going on in your life
I find that remembering good memories helps me maintain a happy mind. Thinking back about that time that I laughed my ass off about something silly brings a smile to my face. This is something I try to do daily, whenever I find a moment to stand still and think about my life.
All articles about specific happiness tips
Here at Tracking Happiness, we are extremely fascinated about happiness and finding actionable tips that can make a difference. We are always on the lookout to find the best happiness thips that we can share with our readers.
Whenever we learn something new, we usually write an article about it.
Here’s a full list of articles we’ve written about specific happiness tips:
- 5 Strategies to Become a More Driven Person (and Be Highly Motivated!)
- 5 Tips to Focus Your Mind on One Thing (Based on Studies)
- 5 Ways to Avoid Self Sabotage (Why we Do It & How to Stop!)
- 4 Actionable Strategies to Be More Decisive (With Examples)
- 7 Ways to Be Less Selfish (But Still Enough to Be Happy)
- 11 Inspiring Ways to Make the World a Better Place (Big & Small!)
- 5 Tips to Set Intentions Every Day Like a Pro (with Examples!)
- 6 Tips on How Not to Let Things Bother You (With Examples)
- 12 Reasons Why Exercising Makes you Happier (with Tips!)
- 11 Ways to be Your Best Self Every Single Day (With Examples)
- How to Stop Being Overly Sensitive: 5 Tips with Examples)
- How to Overcome Laziness in 5 Simple Steps (With Examples!)
- How to Stop Being Bitter All the Time (5 Tips with Examples)
- 5 Convincing Ways Therapy Makes You Happier (With Examples!)
- 5 Actionable Tips to Be a More Disciplined Person (With Examples)
- 4 Strategies to Find Hope in a Hopeless Situation (With Examples)
- 5 Strategies to be More Assertive (With Examples)
- The Surprising Benefits of Volunteering (How it Makes you Happier)
- 5 Ways to Build a Stronger Character (Backed by Studies)
- 4 Habits to Help You Stop Living in the Past (With Examples)
- 3 Strategies to Keep an Open Mind (and 3 Important Benefits)
- 6 Actionable Tips to Live in the Moment More (With Examples)
- 4 Simple Steps to Overcome Jealousy (With Examples)
- How to Know if You’re Shallow (+5 Tips to Not be Shallow)
- How to Stop Caring so Much (5 Actionable Tips with Examples)
- 5 Strategies to Deal With Disappointment (According to Experts)
- How to Turn Negativity into Positivity (With 3 Examples)
- 5 Ways to Effectively do Affirmations (and Really Become Happier!)
- Why Nature is so Important for Your Happiness (with 5 Tips)
- 3 Ways to Spread Happiness to Others (And Why it’s so Important)
- 5 Amazing Tips on How to Start (and Stick With) a Routine!
- How to Challenge Yourself: 5 Strategies to Step Up Your Game
- 4 Real Ways to Practice Self-Reflection (and Enjoy the Benefits)
- 5 Tips to Help You Put Yourself First (and Why It’s so Important)
- 6 Ways our Diet Impacts our Mood and Happiness (Backed by Science)
- 6 Steps to Get Your Life Together and Take Control (With Examples)
- 8 Major Causes of Unhappiness: Why Everyone is so Unhappy
- How to Find Happiness: 5 Tips to Help you Find True Happiness
- 5 Tips to Feel More Secure in your Life (And Why It’s So Important)
- 5 Great Ways to Broaden Your Horizons (with Examples)
- 11 Factors to Find a Job That Makes You Happy (and Fulfilled)
- 5 Ways to Figure Out What Makes You Happy (With Examples)
- 6 Fun Tips to Improve Your Sense of Humor (with Examples!)
- 5 Strategies to Practice Self-Reflection (& Why is it so Important?)
- 5 Ways to Develop a Growth Mindset (and Excel at Life)
- 5 Quick Tips to Help You Think For Yourself More (With Examples)
- 4 Science-backed Strategies to Deal With Failure (With Examples)
- 5 Simple Ways to Make Today Count (with Actionable Examples)
- How to be Happier At Work: 12 Easy Science-backed Tips
- 5 Great Ways to be Humble (and Why It’s so Important!)
- 5 Tips to Stay on Track With Your Goals (According to Experts)
- 5 Incredible Ways to Invest In Yourself (Backed by Studies)
- How to Deal With Someone Who is Angry With You (Explained)
- 5 Perfect Tips to Unwind After Work (Backed by Science)
- 5 Tips to Enjoy the Simple Things in Life More (With Examples)
- 5 Tips to Make Good Choices in Your Life (With Real Examples)
- 5 Ways to Think Less (and Enjoy the Many Benefits of Thinking Less)
- How to Take Responsibility For Your Actions (& Why it’s so Important!)
- How to Get Your Life Back on Track: 5 Tips to Bounce Back
- 5 Ways to Appreciate Someone More (With Examples!)
- 5 Ways to Prioritize Your Life (and Make Time for the Important Stuff!)
- 41 Tips to Cheer Yourself Up in Any Situation (Backed by Science!)
- 5 Real Ways to be More Honest With Yourself (With Examples!)
- 5 Ways to Organize Your Life (and Keep it that Way!)
- 5 Steps to be Stress-Free (& Live a Life Free of Stress!)
- 5 Ways to Stop Being Cynical (and Why It’s so Important!)
- 7 Quick Ways to be a Nicer Person (and Become Happier in the Process)
- Grief and Happiness can Coexist: 7 Ways to Find Your Joy
- 5 Tips for Finding Direction in Your Life (Even When You’re Lost)
- 5 Real Ways to Persevere Through Challenges (With Examples!)
- 5 Proven Ways to Pick Yourself Up Right Now (With Examples)
- 5 Proven Ways to Stay Grounded (When Times Are Uncertain)!
- 8 Ways to Make Life Easier for Yourself (Backed by Science)
- 5 Tips to Stop Second Guessing-Yourself (With Examples)
- 5 Ways to Create More Structure in Life (With Examples)
- Happiness Benefits Of Walking: Explaining the Science
- Pursuing Happiness Leads to Unhappiness? (How to Avoid the Chase)
- 5 Ways to be More Self-Disciplined (& 3 Major Benefits)
- You Are Good Enough: 7 Ways To Remember That You’re Awesome
- Fear Of Starting Something New? (4 Tips on What To Do)
- How to Be Proud of Yourself (5 Purposeful Steps!)
- 5 Ways to Find Happiness After Divorce Again (Shared by Experts)
- 5 Ways to Identify Your Strengths (and Find Out What You’re Good At)
- How to Believe in Yourself in 5 Simple Steps (With Examples)
- 5 Real Ways to Unplug and Find Peace for Yourself (With Examples)
- 6 Steps to Let Go Of Anger: An Easy To Follow Guide
- 5 Things to Try If You Can’t Find Happiness (With Examples)
- What Really Matters in Life? (How to Find out What Matters Most)
- Why Does Giving Make You Happy (With Real-Life Examples)
- 5 Steps to Set Boundaries With People (Backed by Studies)
- 5 Ways to Stop Worrying About Others (with Examples)
- 9 Ways to be More Supportive (With Examples and Studies)
- 5 Ways To Leave The Past Behind (And Live A Happier Life)
- 4 Real Ways to Stop Being a Victim Of Circumstance (with Examples)
- 7 Ways to Create a Life You Love (Actionable Tips)
- 6 Ways to Stop Being Lazy (and Form Non-Lazy Habits Instead!)
- 4 Quick Ways to Keep Your Cool (When Emotions Run High)
- 5 Ways to Discover Your Passion in Life (With Examples!)
- 8 Ways to Focus on Yourself and Not Others (With Examples)
- 4 Tips to Figure Out What You Want in Life (with Examples)
Did you find a happiness tip that inspired you? If so, I would love to hear about it in the comments below.
If you had less luck, please let us know as well. We’re always on the lookout for writing the most actionable and helpful content on topics related to happiness. Whatever you missed in this page, let us know in the comments and we’ll work on it!