After having written over half a million of words on this website, this blog is littered with real tips on how to be happier. These tips are actionable and either based on studies or inspiring stories from our readers.
We’ve published more than 75 articles on specific happiness tips. We’ve filtered these down to the best happiness tips, based on the feedback from our readers. These tips are covered in-depth in this post.
All other tips can be found here as well, with links to the full articles that go in-depth into the many studies and stories that support these tips.
Not every tip will be suitable for you, but if you can find 2 or 3 small changes to make to your life, you’ll be surprised at how much influence they can have on your happiness over time!
- Most recently published happiness tips
- The best happiness tips from our blog
- All articles about specific happiness tips
- Closing words
Most recently published happiness tips
Here are the most recently added articles about specific tips, based on either studies or inspiring stories from our readers:
- 7 Ways To Be Less Selfish (But Still Enough To Be Happy) (3/30/2021)
- How To Live Life With Intention (4 Actionable Ways) (3/3/2021)
- Extreme Minimalism: Can It Make You Happy? (Pros and Cons) (2/25/2021)
- How To Get Unstuck In Life (4 Best Tips) (2/22/2021)
- 4 Ways To Find Happiness Through Yoga (From A Yoga Teacher) (2/18/2021)
- How to Stand Up for What You Believe in (5 Tips + Examples) (2/15/2021)
- How To Not Let Things Bother You (6 Tips With Examples) (2/11/2021)
- The Pros (and Cons) Of Reading Self-Help Books (2/9/2021)
- 5 Methods to Stop Overthinking Everything (Evidence-Based) (2/1/2021)
- 8 Secrets Of Self-Discipline (Benefits And Tips) (1/15/2021)
The best happiness tips from our blog
Everybody wants to be happy. If you’re currrently unhappy and want to find actionable tips that will help you become happier, here are the best happiness tips from our blog:
1. Write down why you want to be happier
Grab a piece of paper, put a date on it, and start writing down whatever is on your mind. This especially helps if you are currently feeling stressed or anxious. Here are some great benefits of writing:
- Writing down your thoughts forces you to actually confront them.
- It allows you to better deconstruct what you’re missing without getting your thoughts distracted.
- Writing something down can prevent it from causing chaos in your head. Think of this as clearing the RAM memory of your computer. If you’ve written it down, you can safely forget about it and start with an empty slate.
- It allows you to look back at your struggles objectively. In a few months time, you can look back at your notepad and see how much you’ve grown.
It might not be hard to imagine that people often start journaling when they are in a difficult situation. Even though writing down your thoughts might sound silly, it can have a direct effect on your mentality. Do not underestimate the power of writing down your feelings!
2. Create small goals that you can actually reach
Change happens one step at a time. You cannot change your life overnight, which is something that might be difficult to accept. If you determined 6 issues that you want to change in your life, then you would be smart to only focus on 1 at a time.
Because you have to build habits. There’s a chance that the things you want to change have been a part of your life for a long time already. Therefore, it will be difficult to change these things.
You have to consider these changes to be long processes that require constant effort. Improving your life is similar to a marathon and not a sprint. You can’t work on all these issues today and expect to be happy again tomorrow. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work like that.
Let’s say you want to start living healthier. This is, of course, a very big and noble goal, but it’s much better if you could narrow it down into smaller sub-goals. Try to figure out smaller, more specific goals, like:
- Stop eating junk food on weekdays
- Spend 30 minutes exercising twice a week
- Wake up before 08:00 5 days a week
- Go to bed before midnight
- Take 5,000 steps per day
Notice how these goals seem much easier to accomplish? This makes it much easier to build lasting habits that will slowly transform your life in a great way. And it doesn’t happen overnight. These goals can be narrowed down even further. An example:
Want to spend 30 minutes exercising twice a week? Start out with exercising for just 10 minutes tonight. Then, in 2 days, try to exercise 20 minutes. Next week, try to exercise 30 minutes, etcetera. Building habits isn’t about reaching your end goal immediately, it is about doing that one thing you want to achieve every day until it’s engrained in your schedule.
3. Try to make others happy
Your happiness can actually radiate to other people. Your smile has the power to bring a smile to someone else’s face! How can you put this to practice?
- Smile to a stranger
- Try to laugh when you’re around others (not in an awkward way!). Laughter is one of the best remedies for sadness.
- Do something nice for somebody else, a random act of kindness
- Make a compliment to somebody else and notice how it affects their happiness
Why would you want to focus on the happiness of others while you’re trying to be happier yourself?
It’s easy: Spreading happiness will make you happy as well. Teach by doing, and you’ll learn something for yourself as well.
Happiness is truly a subjective feeling that has a lot of myths, biases and different strong opinions. People say it can’t be measured, it’s a waste of time to pursue it and that happiness is not really measurable at all.
Despite all this, there is one interesting aspect of happiness that most people agree on, and that’s:
When you are trying to make others happier, you will paradoxically find happiness yourself.
4. Exercise, even if it’s just a 15-minute walk outside
“Mens sana in corpore sano.”
You’ve probably heard this phrase or its English translation, “a healthy mind in a healthy body”. It’s often used as a motto for sports clubs and I bet that you’ve heard it at least once from your middle school gym teacher.
The saying is so popular because it’s true. Physical health is an integral part of mental health and well-being, and it would be useless to think otherwise.
The World Health Organization recommends that adults aged 18-64 should do at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity physical activity throughout the week. That’s 2 and a half hours per week, which isn’t a lot in the grand scheme of things.
Even if you’re not big on running, you should still be getting regular exercise. Not only is it good for your mental health in general, research has shown that people engaged in physical exercise also have higher self-esteem. Find an activity that works for you and get physical! From running to rowing, dancing to duathlon, fencing to football and everything in between, the opportunities are endless.
So what do you get for those 2 and a half hours you spend exercising?
These articles will get you started:
If your Facebook and Instagram feeds are anything to go by, your friends are constantly on vacation, eating healthy, getting married, getting promotions and generally living a better life than you are.
Deep down you know that you’re not getting the full picture, but it’s still difficult to feel good about yourself when you compare your own life to the highlight reels of others. While a little bit of upward comparison can be motivating, research has shown that in most cases, it just lowers your self-esteem.
So if you’re prone to such comparisons, the best gift you can give yourself is to log off for a while. If you can’t do that for some reason, then use of the mute function and unfollow features that don’t add any value to your life and curate yourself a feed that lifts you up instead of bringing you down.
6. Be grateful for the things you already have
You’ve probably heard this one before, but I’m still going to include this here.
Practicing gratitude can have a great effect on your mental health, as shown by numerous studies.
There are a lot of things to be grateful for! How can you practice gratitude?
- Thank your family for everything they’ve done for you
- Keep a gratitude journal
- Look back at your happy memories and be grateful for those memories
- Think about and focus on the positive things you have going on in your life
I find that remembering good memories helps me maintain a happy mind. Thinking back about that time that I laughed my ass off about something silly brings a smile to my face. This is something I try to do daily, whenever I find a moment to stand still and think about my life.
All articles about specific happiness tips
Here at Tracking Happiness, we are extremely fascinated about happiness and finding actionable tips that can make a difference. We are always on the lookout to find the best happiness thips that we can share with our readers.
Whenever we learn something new, we usually write an article about it.
Here’s a full list of articles we’ve written about specific happiness tips:
- 7 Ways To Be Less Selfish (But Still Enough To Be Happy)
- How To Live Life With Intention (4 Actionable Ways)
- Extreme Minimalism: Can It Make You Happy? (Pros and Cons)
- How To Get Unstuck In Life (4 Best Tips)
- 4 Ways To Find Happiness Through Yoga (From A Yoga Teacher)
- How to Stand Up for What You Believe in (5 Tips + Examples)
- How To Not Let Things Bother You (6 Tips With Examples)
- The Pros (and Cons) Of Reading Self-Help Books
- 5 Methods to Stop Overthinking Everything (Evidence-Based)
- 8 Secrets Of Self-Discipline (Benefits And Tips)
- 5 Ways To Get Back On Your Feet Right Now (Full Guide)
- 6 Helpful Ways To Stop Being Negative About Yourself
- How To Practice Non-Judgment (3 Ways + Studied Benefits!)
- 4 Ways To Be More Genuine (Actionable Tips Based On Science)
- What Is Self-Soothing? (6 Science-Backed Tips And Examples)
- 5 Things That Cause A Lack Of Motivation (+ How To Fix Them!)
- 9 Ways To Enrich Your Life (Real Examples And Studies)
- How To Feel More Secure (And Why It’s So Important)
- 5 Lifechanging Benefits Of Being Patient (Proven By Studies)
- 7 Ways To Create A Live You Love (Actionable Tips)
- Neuroplasticity: Examples of How It Can Make You Happier
- 5 Ways To Be More Persistent (With Examples And Studies)
- How To Change Your Mind To Be Happy (With Real Examples)
- How To Stop Being A Victim Of Circumstance (Science & Tips)
- How To Focus On Yourself And Not Others: 8 Actionable Tips!
- How to Be Proud of Yourself [5 Purposeful Steps!]
- How To Deal With Emotional Pain: Actionable Tips and Examples
- How To Overcome Self-Pity And Get Happier: 7 Actionable Tips
- How to Practice Forgiveness Daily (4 Tips With Examples)
- How to Bring Happiness to Others [3 Tips That’ll Make YOU Happy, Too!]
- The Importance Of Assertiveness: Examples And Tips
- How to Not Let People Steal Your Joy: 3 Actionable Tips
- How To Deal With People Letting You Down (4 Actionable Tips!)
- How To Make Your Life More Interesting [4 Inspiring Tips!]
- Can Self-Awareness Be Taught? [3 Actionable Steps to Learn It!]
- How to Deal with Negativity: 5 Proven and Actionable Tips
- How To Handle Your Emotions (5 Actionable Tips!)
- The Importance Of Resilience (How It Creates More Happiness In Life)
- How Does Sustainable Behavior Influence Our Mental Health? (The Psychology of Sustainability)
- How To Want Less And Be Perfectly Happy
- What Really Matters In Life (And How To Find These Things)
- Simple Living Tips: How To Simplify Your Life
- How To Leave The Past Behind (And Live A Happier Life)
- Why Does Giving Make You Happy (With Real-Life Examples)
- How To Overcome Jealousy (4 Simple Steps With Examples)
- Try Something New Today To Be Happy: Full List Of Tips!
- How To Get Your Mind Off Something (5 Efficient Tips)
- How to Turn Negativity into Positivity (With Examples)
- How To Stop Worrying About Others (With 3 Actionable Tips)
- Here’s How To Keep An Open Mind (& How It Will Benefit You!)
- How To Be Happy With What You Have (6 Actionable Tips)
- Mental Benefits Of Walking: Here’s Why It Makes You Happier!
- Can Pursuing Happiness Make You Unhappy? (Studies and Tips)
- How Does Gratitude Make Us Happier? (With Actual Examples)
- How To Stop Living In The Past (Move Forward To A Happier Life)
- Benefits Of Self-Reflection (With 4 Actionable Tips)
- Can You Fake Happiness? And Should You? (Social Media Or Real Life)
- Top 6 Things Money Can’t Buy (+ What To Do About It)
- Can Happiness Be Bought? (Answers, Studies + Examples)
- Productive Things To Do When Bored (Staying Happy In Times Like These)
- Causes Of Unhappiness: Why Everyone Is So Unhappy (With Examples)
- Happiness Activity Ideas: Science-Backed Activities To Up Your Happiness
- Surprising Benefits Of Volunteering (+ Science Says It Makes You Happier)
- Positive Changes In Life: Actionable Tips On Being Happier Today
- Why Happiness Is A Journey And Not A Destination
- Lower Your Expectations To Be Happier (How To Let Go Of Expectations)
- Here’s How To Spread Happiness (And Why You Should Try)
- Fear Of Starting Something New? Here’s What To Do!
- How Much Does Exercising Make You Happier? (Research + Tips)
- The Many Ways Therapy Can Make You Happier (With Examples!)
- How To Beat Imposter Syndrome (And Be Happy Instead)
- 7 Activities That Will Boost Your Self-Esteem (With Examples)
- “My Life Sucks” – What To Do If This You (Actual Strategies)
- Morning Anxiety: How to Deal with it (Actionable Tips and Examples)
- What The F*ck Is Wrong With Me? (No BS Advice & Examples)
- Happiness Is Contagious (Or Not?) – Examples, Studies And More
- Can’t Find Happiness? Here’s How Others Find Happiness
- When Can I Be Happy? (Answer, Tips, Examples)
- The Key To Happiness: How To Find Yours + Examples
- What Makes Introverts Happy (How To, Tips & Examples)
- I Am Not Happy With My Life – 11 Actionable Remedies
- 20 Rules To Live By For A Happier Life in 2019
- 10 Things To Let Go Of To Be Happy! (+Bonus Tips)
- How To Be Happy Everyday [& 15 Powerful Methods]
Did you find a happiness tip that inspired you? If so, I would love to hear about it in the comments below.
If you had less luck, please let us know as well. We’re always on the lookout for writing the most actionable and helpful content on topics related to happiness. Whatever you missed in this page, let us know in the comments and we’ll work on it!