The Tracking Happiness Diary is different from most diary apps, because as a user, you don’t have to install anything.
This article explains how it works.
Everything is based on your email address
As soon as you sign up, you choose an email address that will corresond to your Tracking Happiness Diary.
Therefore, the Tracking Happiness Diary only allows one user per email address.
When a new user signed up, the email address is stored in a cloud database.
From there, the Tracking Happiness Diary creates 3 files that are connected to the email address:
- A form to enter data and write in the diary. This form sends the data to the personal database in a proper way.
- A personal database that stores all the information a user enters.
- A personal dashboard that visualizes the data from the personal database and allows the user to learn from his/her diary.
These files all operate in the cloud.
That’s why there’s no need to install anything on a device.
The 3 files can be accessed by the user with a link. As a user, it’s important to never share these links with anyone else.
The personal database and dashboards are only accessible by the user. Even when the link is inadvertently shared with someone else, these files will still not be accessible.
The form link can be opened by anyone with the link.
The Tracking Happiness Diary automatically performs a number of actions that make the diary easy to use.
This includes the following automations:
- An active user will receive a weekly back-up via email, with an overview of the data from that week.
- A reminder is sent via e-mail if a user is inactive for 4 days.
- The user form is updated after each diary entry. The user form is updated with information about the previous entry, and with a dynamic list of happiness factors that were used in prior entries.
- Your personal dashboard is always kept up to date.
How your data stays safe
Your privacy is very important to us. We take privacy seriously because we personally value our own privacy. To this end, we will never share or sell your personal information. Period.
Generally, there are 2 ways an app can store your personal data:
- On central servers, managed by the app developers.
- On the device on which the app is installed.
The Tracking Happiness Diary uses method 1. The data that you provide and we collect is stored on central servers that are managed by the app developers (us).
This ensures the security of your data, as multiple backup systems are in place and third-parties don’t get access to your data. However, we (the developers) do get access to your data. This enables us to troubleshoot and update our databases whenever an update of the app requires it. This would not be possible when using method 2.
In addition, method 2 comes with the risk of losing your entire personal database when your device is lost, gets stolen, or breaks down.
Will we ever use this access in any harmful way? Absolutely not. We will never snoop through your personal data, unless absolutely necessary and after you – the user – give us your consent.
Access our support library here: